Sunday, September 11, 2011

Yep! It's a diesel.



What a strange week this has been.  I didn't know how much I'd come to depend on the personal schedule I'd developed in the last month until it was all thrown off.  Between my long weekend trip to Connecticut (more on that later), staying up too late, not getting up for the gym in the morning... it was a physically and emotionally draining week, but I made it through.  Along with that, I had some... unique? experiences that I couldn't help but laugh at.

-Yet another person approached me at the gas station, attempting to "save" me from the mistake I was making of putting diesel into my car.  It makes me laugh, really.  It's always the same type:  older man, friendly, concerned, usually driving a truck.  Every time.  And they always have the same reaction:

Concerned man:  "Your car takes diesel?"  (well-worded, not accusatory if he's right, or stupid sounding if he's wrong)
Me smiling innocently:  "Yep!  It's a diesel."  (I point to the conveniently placed "Diesel" logo on the car.  And think, Really?  Again?)
Man:  "Wow!  What kind of car is that?"  (feigned interest to cover up the fact he's actually wrong)
Me:  "A Jetta."  (Okay, kind sir, you can be on your way now...)
Man:  "Hmm.  How's the gas mileage?"  (This question never fails.  It's the only thing people know about diesels, that they get better mileage.  About as much as I know, too.)
Me:  "About 45 on the highway."  (...)
Man:  "Nice!  I assume it's turbo?"  (This only comes from the truck drivers, because they know a little more)
Me:  Yep!  (Awkward giggle)
Man:  (insert random quip about his car/truck that gets 15/18/25 mpg to keep the conversation going)
Me:  Yeah, I like my car.  (I know nothing about it, what do you want me to say??)
Man:  Okay, well I just wanted to make sure... (that you're not actually the dumb blonde I thought you were)
Me:  Thanks for your concern!  Bye!  (Yep.  I'm not.)

I honestly do appreciate the type of person that sees something unusual, recognizes there may be a problem, and actively tries to fix it.  Every person that's come up to me at the gas station means well, and it's good to know that there are people willing to risk personal embarrassment to make sure I'm not doing something dumb (as opposed to the sign dancers, who risk personal embarrassment for monetary gain.  Somehow not as classy).  It's unfortunate, though, that it's because I'm young, female, and blonde (more the first two, but you never know) that this concern is raised.  If it were another older man, or any man for that matter, or an older woman pumping diesel, I don't believe they would be approached about it.  Just a thought.  Tell me if I'm wrong.

- The second funny moment occurred on Friday when I was working as a substitute teller in Greeley, a branch about 45 minutes from my own (I often am "borrowed" by other branches to cover short-staffed days, since my branch is more flexible with having enough people on the schedule).  A decently attractive guy came in, we acknowledged each other politely, and I went back to my work stuffing envelopes.  The other teller, Jackie, greeted him at the window next to mine and started completing his transaction.  I could just feel his eyes on me, though, so to keep from having an awkward interaction I just refused to look up.  I was "saved by the bell" when a customer came through the drive through behind me and I had to leave my post.  I quickly realized, however, that because the window is so low to the ground, I had to bend over to extract their deposit slip from the drawer, with my back to this guy... I just felt like I was giving him a better "view" than he needed!  When I turned around to go back to my station, he was obviously trying to make eye contact.  I ignored him, almost just to see how long I could play this little game.  Jackie finished his deposit, and on his way out, he stopped right in front of me (I had to look up, just to get it over with) and he said, "Has anyone ever told you that you look like Nicole Kidman?"  I just looked at him for a second, then shook my head, giggled awkwardly (apparently I do that often) and my other coworker Carrie broke the awkward silence with something like, "Wow, what a compliment!"  I smiled and said, "Thanks, I'll take it."  And then he left.

Here's the thing.  It was a nice compliment, but after a good five minutes of trying to get my attention, is that really all he could come up with?   I would have expected a little more out of a guy who I knew had used lines like that before on other girls, and especially after having that long to prepare.  I know I'm just giving him a hard time, he tried, but... I look nothing like her.  To prove my point:


                                                Nicole Kidman.                                 Me.

                         Sar... kidding.  Nicole.                                                 Sarah.
                      nicole kidman hairstyles Celebrities nicole kidman hairstyles Celebrities      


Now the true test... who is this?
       
The answer... not me!  I may or may not have posted that last picture to make me feel slightly better about myself after looking through all of her gorgeous glamour shots.  My hair at one point was that bad, I'll admit, but sadly enough I couldn't find decent proof of it to share.  And I've gotten it under control since.  Sorry, kids. 
Anyway, that was my week.  Here's to a more sane one coming up!  Smile, life is good :)

5 comments:

  1. Wow. You sure are harsh. It takes courage to muster up any compliment to a complete stranger. Quick to judge the poor guy who you some how "knew had used lines like that before on other girls" based on him being decently attractive.

    And there do appear quite a few similarities between you and nicole. (the second picture of you isn't working)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it was one of those "you had to be there" situations.

    ...who is this? I don't recognize your name, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I didn't know you had a blog! This is awesome. I may or may not have just read all of yours posts...I love you.

    Let's be friends, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already follow (both) your blogs. Get on it, woman!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor guy was probably too flustered. You're gorgeous, you know! It leaves men speechless. :)

    ReplyDelete